Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Mountain Lion

Jenn and I were camping with Abbey in the mountains. There were only a few other campgrounds around. We were setting up our campsite amongst the evergreens and Abbey started getting restless. I decided to take her for a run to see if she would calm down.

We ran along the trail, going further and further up the mountain. As we turned a blind corner, we saw a mountain lion. Abbey immediately tore after it, and I sensed what was about to happen. I ran after Abbey, but she had already engaged in combat with the lion. I knew she didn't stand a chance.

I ran to them as fast as I could, and tore the head off of the mountain lion's shoulders, but I was too late. Abbey was already in pieces, and I was devastated. I tried putting her back together, in hopes that the pieces would become a whole again, and somehow come back to life. My attempts were fruitless.

No comments: